Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Free as a Bird . . .

In my beginning ESOL class, I asked students to use a metaphor to describe how they feel at the end of the school day. Here are a few of my favorites:

"At the end of the day, I am a bird that can fly everywhere."
"At the end of the day, I am a prisoner who got free from prison."
"When I leave school at the end of the day, I'm a crazy dog in heaven."
"At the end of the day, I am flying in the sky until I get to paradise."
"At the end of the day, I am a deer jumping in the grass." (My personal favorite. I think it's time to teach this kid the word "frolic"!).

The most common response was some variation of number 2, the released prisoner. You can see what great love of learning I transmit to my students! I do confess that I work them pretty hard, and with bigger classes this year there is no room for goofing off and I run a tight ship. The prison thing might be going a bit far, however. . .

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I remember feeling like RM was a prison. Maybe if we weren't locked in it would have been different, but it was probably just the dramatic teen phase. I have so much more sympathy for my past teachers now that I am an adult.

Czechdeb said...

I know--I felt that way, too, although the giant fence with security guards posted at each outlet and metal detectors probably didn't help!