Saturday, December 13, 2008

Belated Gratitude

Thanksgiving has passed, but I feel, given the subject and tone of my last entry, that family and friends reading this might be relieved to know that I am largely a happy person with a good life! This morning, I watched the sunrise at the Lincoln Memorial with some friends and then had breakfast. It was a clear, pristine winter morning, a glorious sunrise, a delicious breakfast, and the company was great. It was many of the good parts of my life compressed into a few hours: a beautiful setting, good friends, simple pleasures, and a realization that there is joy to be had just in being alive.

I was at a track meet last night, and I remember why I started coaching in the first place: I love the sheer joy athletes faces' convey as their bodies accomplish amazing feats of speed and height; I love the exhilaration of a victory from behind or a hard-won relay. I love how teenagers haven't learned to mask their disappointment or temper their triumph--it's all out there in honest vulnerability. I love the sense of camaraderie among teammates and the life lessons of defeat.

I love discovering the complexities that lie behind what seems to be simple. I enjoy seeing my misconceptions fall to new discoveries and understanding. I love books, languages, and the visceral experience of listening to good music. This is a short list--but I am grateful!

No comments: