Sunday, November 8, 2009

Cate Blanchett at the Kennedy Center

Last night I saw Cate Blanchett as the lead in a traveling production of "A Street Car Named Desire" performed at the Kennedy Center. It was a breathtaking performance and an incredible production. Even after having seen Blanchett perform masterfully in variety of movie roles, I was amazed by the range of her performance, portraying the complex and tormented Blanche with power and abandon, yet never straying into melodrama. The experience was incredibly enjoyable as well, and worth the $68 tickets (front row of the balcony).

Now that I've made my attempt at a review, I feel the need to admit my extremely paltry experience with theater of any kind. In spite of my literary pretensions, I don't believe I have read more than two works by any playwright besides Shakespeare. I have seen even less live performances than I have read, and a significant portion of those were high school productions where I saw my little sisters perform. So as a conclusion to my remarks, I feel the need to quote Homer Simpson's reaction to viewing "Planet of the Apes: The Musical": "Ooh, I just love legitimate theater!"

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Dr. Zaius, Dr. Zaius. Dr. Zaius. Dr.Zaius, Dr. Zaius.

Czechdeb said...

Ha ha! That was the funniest episode!